Friday 31 July 2015

Bokeh

Do you sometimes wish you hadn't started something! I thought I would be educational and look up the definition of Bokeh for you. Here it is according to Wikipedia:

The term comes from the Japanese word boke (暈け or ボケ), which means "blur" or "haze", or boke-aji (ボケ味), the "blur quality". The Japanese term boke is also used in the sense of a mental haze or senility.[8] The term bokashi (暈かし) is related, meaning intentional blurring or gradation.

That perhaps explains why I was drawn to have a go!!

The Bokeh technique in crafting has developed from a photography technique, where a background is deliberately blurred so points of light are highlighted.
In crafting we take a bright background and add circles of white and Stampin' Up's white craft ink is brilliant for this.

I started off by creating lots of different backgrounds. they are not all Stampin'Up products, but it was fun and messy. I used ink pads, spray inks, watercolour pigment powders - all creating different backgrounds with different intensity of colours.
To make my stencil to add the white circles, I used a variety of circle punches and a piece of acetate. I then sponged on the craft ink, overlapping the circles and having different intensities of ink. Every piece is different and it is just fun!!!







We had a play with this technique at a recent class,and this was all Stampin Up inks blended with sponges (or daubers) or markers that were scribbled onto watercolour card and spritzed with water. You must ensure that you cover your background entirely with colour, however you decide to do it.



I highly recommend having a play. check out You Tube for a variety of technique videos.



Get Messy

Helen
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment